Organizing and locating the products and paraphernalia that we use most frequently is the function of bathroom accessories. Towel rails, soap dispensers, shelves and toilet roll holders at the service of order and decoration.
Toothbrushes, towels, soap or cleaning wipes are things that we use regularly and that we should never store in a drawer or compartment that is difficult to access. The solution is to have suitable accessories that, in addition to fulfilling this practical function, become part of the decoration of the room. To do this, we have models that combine perfectly with any piece of furniture or bathroom, both in style and materials.
In small toilets and bathrooms, it is preferable to always use accessories fixed to walls, which do not take up space on the floor. The towel rails integrated into the furniture or the towel radiators in the bathroom and shower area allow space to be gained, as well as the pieces that fulfil more than one function (toilet roll holder and brush holder, mirror with shelf or drawer unit, auxiliary trolleys with bars to hang different elements …) The objective is not to collapse the space, nor to give up the basic services of these usual allies.
The type of frame will determine the style of this piece, while the soft and wide designs help to optically expand the space. Some incorporate a radio, music player, LED backlighting or shelves to support small objects of daily use. When we need more storage capacity, it should be replaced with a shallow wall cabinet and mirror doors that sometimes include lighting.
Drill-free bathroom accessories
In tiled bathrooms, drilling holes in the tile is tricky and creates permanent marks on its polished surface, which can be exposed when we decide to refinish old fixtures. To avoid this, we can opt for tabletop vanity furniture, which is simply placed on the countertop, without fixing of any kind to move it according to our convenience. Free-standing towel rails or those that are incorporated into the structure of furniture and bathroom fixtures are the perfect complement.
Another option is to resort to collections designed to be fixed with suction cups or very powerful adhesives on the wall. There are even shower bars that use this system and offer adequate resistance as long as they are fixed to a non-rough surface.
Finally, the magnetic base accessories add an ingenious new alternative to the previous possibilities. They are put on and removed, stacked or varied with a simple gesture and allow a high level of customization and adaptation to the needs of each moment and person.
Furniture: well-organized spaces
Contemporary bathrooms enhance aspects such as comfort and functionality, without neglecting aesthetics. The new furniture designs also have a large storage capacity.
With the passage of time, bathrooms have seen their powers expanded, since in addition to the basic functions for which they have been created, they must take on new challenges. Currently what is sought is to create environments with delimited areas that respond to specific uses and that are governed by their own rules. In this sense, the furniture is crucial, since its correct choice will allow you to gain storage space and have everything tidy and at hand.
Sort and hide
Contemporary design, as far as the bathroom is concerned, is committed to visual cleanness, which seeks linearity and avoids interruptions. There are many elements and small objects that are used in each room and the less they are left in sight, the more balanced and relaxing the environment will be. For this, the market offers models of all kinds, with various sizes, as well as modular compositions and custom-made pieces.
To maintain order, the interior partitioning of cabinets and their drawers is essential. The industry offers drawer organizers that are particularly practical.
Type of furniture
Regarding the type and layout of the furniture, there are three most common options:
- Furniture with legs: they are those that are supported on the floor by means of legs, that is, they leave free space, although less than that released by the suspended ones.
- With plinth: they are also exempt, although the plinth prevents dirt from accumulating. This element finishes off the furniture and guarantees a better finish.
- Suspended: they are anchored onto the wall. They visually clean the space and make it easy to clean under the cabinet.
Special models are also manufactured, designed for small bathrooms, such as furniture with reduced depth (below 40cm) and corners that prevent waste. If you have a pedestal sink and you want to place a piece of furniture with which to increase storage, there are specific pieces of furniture designed for this purpose. To install them it is not necessary to replace the sinks to carry out any type of installation. As a last solution, you can always resort to ordering custom furniture.
Drawers and doors
The drawers and doors can be presented with cushioned closures, which favour the durability of the furniture since, in addition to being silent, they avoid sudden knocks. Some drawers can be pulled out completely, leaving everything in sight and within easy reach. The “push” opening system stands out, which dispenses with handles or knobs and allows the drawer or cabinet door to be easily opened with a light touch on the front.
Materials and their maintenance.
Before choosing a bathroom cabinet, you must take into account the final effect you want to achieve, the maintenance it requires and the durability of the pieces.
- Solid wood: ensures high resistance to shocks, although they are vulnerable to moisture. Provides warmth. To clean solid wood surfaces, simply use a cloth or sponge dampened with warm water and wipe with a clean chamois in the direction of the wood grain
- Lacquered: they are furniture covered with lacquer, a hard and shiny varnish. They are cleaned with a cellulose cloth moistened with water and neutral soap. Then you will have to dry the furniture from top to bottom, and from right to left.
- Melamine and MDF (chipboard): they are resistant to impacts and abrasion. Some models have waterproof coatings. They can be cleaned with cellulose cloths moistened with water and neutral soap. Then you will have to dry the furniture from top to bottom, and from right to left.
- Ceramic: they are resistant to scratches and chemical products.
- Tempered glass: high resistance to heat and humidity. They are easy to clean and maintain.
- Acrylic resin: it is a material that is very resistant to bumps and scratches, and very easy to clean.
- Stone: 100% natural, it is resistant to shock and heat. It is cleaned with neutral soap and non-abrasive products.
Simple lines: the design of the bathrooms is based on a style of straight, wide lines, in which the work done with mirrors predominates.
Organic elements: materials such as wood are introduced and combined with steel and ceramics. This creates a clean, elegant and homey environment. Bring out the beauty of contrasting surfaces and textures.
Cold colours: cold tones, which create a calm atmosphere, are a trend today. Some of the best options are blue and emerald green. They combine very well with white and touches of wood, or with metallic details and rustic materials.
Eternal white: white continues to be the predominant colour in bathrooms, and is ideal for creating contemporary environments.
Get inspired by our article “How to use the colour white in the decoration of your home“. You will find examples with different shades of white and the best combinations in any room of your home.
Toilets: sustainable design
The current bathroom faucets are surprising for their sustainability and aesthetics. The different types of jet, finishes and height of the spout expand the possibilities of choice.
The new faucet collections arise from advances, shapes and materials that complement the features and aesthetics of the past with advances capable of optimizing their decorative possibilities and their function. The finishes are diversified and more resistant to adapt to different environments and remain unchanged for much longer. Internally, improved mechanisms guarantee effective pressure, far removed from that offered by the old models with rubber gaskets. The ceramic discs are capable of adjusting the flow more efficiently and achieving a total blockage without leaks when we close the tap.
Different forms of installation
Wall-mounted faucets are fixed to the wall and until now were installed almost exclusively in showers, bathtubs, sinks and bidets. The current series also includes, for aesthetic reasons, taps of this type in the sink areas. The tabletop ones are fixed on the handbasin or on the countertop itself and are commonly used in the different functional areas of the bathroom. If we decide on this option, the number of holes in the sink, bathtub or bidet must match the elements that make up the faucet.
Other precautions before choosing a specific model are compatibility with the available space to support the base, the type of suitable hoses and whether it incorporates an automatic shut-off valve.
The cartridges replace the old rubber valves washer located inside the appliance. Most are made of ceramic material to ensure durability and effectiveness. Two of the most significant advantages of this substitution are that they guarantee smooth opening and closing and that they almost completely eliminate old drippings from the spout.
The number of items
- Simple faucet: it has a single water inlet and a single outlet and works only with cold or hot water. They are not installed in toilets and are usually intended for sinks and garden taps.
- Monobloc: all the components are compacted into a single piece made up of a base, one or two handles and a spout.
- Single-lever faucets: they have two outlets, one hot and one cold, and can also supply mixed water.
- Battery: the jet and the levers are independent elements.
Ecology and design
The latest advances in bathroom faucets save around 80% of water by having simple, economical and easy-to-install mechanisms. This also means a considerable reduction in energy expenditure, when it comes to domestic hot water.
- Presence detection: the faucet is only activated while it detects the presence of hands under the spout. These mechanisms are powered by small batteries located inside the tap, although some brands have already developed mini solar panels that capture ambient light.
- With button: by pressing on the head, they activate the water outlet for a predetermined time. In them, the conventional handles have been replaced by a timer and they are installed almost exclusively in public places.
- Less flow: some taps incorporate a device that limits the passage of water to the maximum and can be manipulated without disassembling the tap, turning the slot with a simple coin. They can be used both in the domestic sphere and in residences and hotels, and are prepared to save up to 50%.
- Air and water: the aerators spray water at continuous pressure, from a pressure bar and without increasing its flow rate at higher pressures. The volume of the water increases and the jet seems to decrease only the number of litres.